New Play Development Script Submission
We no longer accept open submissions. We still accept submissions of entire plays or ten-page samples, but they must meet one of the criteria listed in the applicable tabs on the left. We only accept electronic submissions.
If you have any questions, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not fit any of the categories below, but are having your work performed or read, feel free to send us postcard or e-mail at email@example.com and let us know.
If you are familiar with our policies, you can begin the submission process by filling out the form at the bottom of the page, though you may want to review the Play Submission Procedure tab to the left, which provides a list of material we require with the submission. You will be able to upload all material as part of the form.
Full Length Play Submission Criteria
- Have had a play developed at WTNJ.
- You are an agent at a recognized literary agency.
- You have been invited by someone working at WTNJ.
- You have been invited to submit by a professional theatre artist or administrator who has worked at Writers Theatre (playwright, actor, director, designer, stage manager, member of administrative staff). You will be asked to reference that person and provide their e-mail address as part of the submission process. We will check the reference before accepting the script.
- You are a either a writer who has had a play developed/presented at one of the theatres of the New Jersey Theatre Alliance (NJTA) or are an Artistic/Literary head of a NJTA theatre.
- You are either a writer who has had a play developed/presented at one of the theatres of the National New Play Network or are an Artistic/Literary head of an NNPN Theatre.
- You either work as, or were suggested to submit by, the Artistic Director, Associate Artistic Director, or Literary Manager (or equivalent position) at a Professional Theatre. In the case of a recommendation, a note from that person must accompany the submission, as well as their e-mail address. Again, we will check the reference before accepting the script.
Ten-Page Submission Criteria
- Any of the categories that meet Full Page Submission criteria.
- Recent Graduates (past two years) of recognized MFA playwriting programs. We reserve the right to limit submissions to 25 writers per year (July 1-June 30)
- Recent graduates (past two years) of recognized undergraduate playwriting programs (or playwriting major). In this category, there will only be an open submission window of two-months per year (June-July), and we reserve the right to limit submissions in this category to 25.
New Jersey Young Playwrights Contest
If you are a New Jersey student, grades 4-12, you are welcome to submit your play to the New Jersey Young Playwrights Contest. To see guidelines on our website, click here.
Currently, we do not have a program for young writers (grades 4-12) residing outside of New Jersey.
Play Submission Procedure
Writers Theatre will only accept electronic submissions of plays (or ten page samples) that meet our criteria (see submission tabs). The submission form is located at the bottom of the page. Before you begin to fill out the form, locate the following documents, which you’ll have to upload as part of the process.
- The play (or ten-page sample). We require an industry standard title page and an industry standard character/time/place page. We will not review scripts that are missing these pages.
- A brief synopsis (not a marketing blurb, something that gives a sense of what happens in the play)
- A brief biography
- A listing of some of your other works and their production/development history
- Production/development history of the play you’re submitting (if any)
Please format documents as .pdf files whenever possible. We will also accept .doc, .docx or .rtf formats.
Use the form at the bottom of the page to submit your script. Thank you for your interest!