2016 NJ Young Playwrights Festival
This year’s New Jersey Young Playwrights Festival was a huge success! On Monday the 20th of June, we got to hear readings of the three Elementary and three Jr. High School winners’ plays and Tuesday the 21st brought readings of the five winners from the High School division of the contest. Professional actors and directors worked with the playwrights during rehearsals to bring their words to life for their families, friends, and teachers at the Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown, NJ.
And submissions are open for next year’s New Jersey Young Playwrights Festival; we ALREADY have entries from playwrights vying for a chance to win, so make sure to start writing and submit your work! Maybe it’ll be your work that we end up producing for the 2017 NJYPF this time next year!
Congratulations to all of the 2016 New Jersey Young Playwrights Contest Winners and Honorable Mentions!
Elementary School Division:
- The Core of the Family by David Lorenzo Whetton, a home-schooled student
- The Value of Ten Dollars by Vanya Dhamija, Madison Junior School
- Political Nightmare by Artha Abeysinghe, Madison Junior School
The Sleepover by Caitryn Tronoski from Long Valley Middle School received an Honorary Mention in the Elementary School division.
Junior High School Division:
- Scout by Ava Vignone, Eisenhower Middle School
- Tiles by Imani Pollard, Union County Academy for Performing Arts
- Wings by Nate Shectman, Union County Academy for Performing Arts
Fear Factor by Gregory Latronica and Don’t You Sleep? by Alexandria Riley, both of Eisenhower Middle School, received Honorable Mentions in the Jr. High School Division.
High School Division:
- In the Corn Maze by Francesca Badalamenti, Newark Academy
- Death Rows by Jasmine Sharma, Bergen County Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts
- The Continuum of Infinity by Myriam Burger, Bergen County Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts
- Uncovering Moonshine by Cristina Lopez, Chatham High School
- Visible by Jessica Dell Beni, Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools – East Brunswick Campus